Can dogs eat bananas? The short answer is yes, but…

Can dogs eat bananas? Good news! Bananas are some of the most popular ingredients in homemade treats, and generally safe. Learn how to best feed them to your pup.

Blended in smoothies, cut up in cereal, and included in tons of delicious recipes, bananas are a staple in most homes.  But is it safe for your dog to eat bananas? The verdict is in! Given in appropriate amounts and in suitable ways, bananas can be the perfect treat for your pup! Bananas, along with apples, are actually some of the most popular fruit snacks for dogs.


How much is too much?

According to Chewy, “Bananas are a good source of potassium, manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, fiber, biotin and copper. Bananas are low in sodium and cholesterol, but due to the sugar content in bananas, dogs should only eat them as a treat, and not as a regular part of their diets.”  A good rule of thumb is to stick within the 90/10 rule – 90% of your dogs nutrition should come from their dog food and the other 10% can come from tasty treats like bananas.

Although bananas can be beneficial for gastrointestinal problems due to their high fiber content, if overfed they can be difficult to digest. Oh, and be sure to leave the peel off.  Even though it’s not toxic, consuming the peel can cause digestion issues as well as blockages in some instances.  If your dog shows sensitivity or discomfort after consuming bananas, make sure to consult with your veterinarian to check for allergies or other health concerns.


How to feed your dog bananas

  • Frozen – Try freezing a whole banana, then peeling and slicing it.  This is a simple method your furry friend is sure to enjoy!
  • Mixed with peanut butter – This people pleasing combo is another perfect option to share with your pup!
  • As an ingredient in a DIY dog treat – check out these yummy options below to guide you in creating something special for your dog.


For more info on what’s safe to share with your dog, subscribe to our blog and follow us on social media!

Visit our blog site to read more great content. 


Don’t forget to follow us on social media!

Join the Barkd Breeder Club

We respect your privacy. Your information will be kept confidential. 

Thank you for submitting your information. We will be reaching out soon!

Are You Ready For A Dog?

Are you considering adding a new pup to your family, but unsure if you’re ready for the responsibilities that come along with that adorable face? Download our guide to help you navigate some of the major aspects of owning a dog so that you can determine if now is the right time for you!

We will be reaching out within 24 hours!